Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Digital Discourse 1: The Adventure to The Road Less Wired

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SLhzjc_WVZbwCBmoQp4FSwTLahEU-oQlsAI49qZIYgg/edit#


Digital Discourse 1:
The Promise and Paradoxes of Technology in the Classroom


Last class, we discussed how technology paralyzes some teachers and empowers others.   I have to admit that I did not embrace technology until a few years ago, and I am proficient technology immigrant, at best.  I related to Tapscott’s, Schrum’s, and Levin’s portrait of my generation, Gen X or Net Gen.   I listened to 45’s and 33’s, crafted the perfect mix tapes in middle school, scourged thrift stores for books, and used a word processor and microfiche in college. I winced when my school donated our card catalogue to an antique store, and tried to remove complete sections of collection of books, especially my beloved 800 section (of literature and literary criticism).
 At the time, I wondered if our culture would blindly slip into a Bradburyesque or Orwellian dystopia?  How could I possible relate to words like “systematic” or  “data-driven” in an academic environment? Were my students apathetic, disengaged “screenagers”? (Tapscott 4-6)

A few years ago, I realized that maybe my fear of technology was my own lack of knowledge and skill set.  Reading the first chapters of Tapscott, November, and Levin and Schrum helped me realize where both the teachers and students came from, and how we view technology.  While I had created digital learning units, integrated online research, created PowerPoint presentations and dialogue threads, podcasted, and used email and my school network for my classes’ website—I was missing the point.  

If thoughtfully used, technology could aid or engage my students to both actively learn and to actively participate, as active citizens.  The myriad of possibilities mass: Technology could be a vehicle for change, global outreach, and problem solving—if used as tool and not as an entertaining gadget.  Verily, we could learn from each other.
Despite some of my discomfort, I will dig deeper, blog, and mash up. More importantly, the promise of technology excites me as I consider how to revitalize my lessons.   The “Framework for 21rst Century Learning “ outlines its core subjects and themes as: “global awareness; financial, Economic, Business and Entrepreneurial Literacy; Civic and Health Literacy (Levin and Schrum 19).  These subjects and themes echo in the NETS.A standards.  Typically, I look at standards as somewhat constrictive. Yet, these standards address poignant areas in educating 21rst century students. They begin with action verbs such as “facilitate, inspire, design, promote (citizenship and responsibility) and engage (professional growth and leadership) (Levin and Schrum 20-22). 

 November urges educators to “informate” rather than automate.  More tangibly, when educators  “informate” the integration of technology results in cultural shifts, value changes, permeable boundaries, and flexible policies (November 7).   I look forward to exploring the mediums and tools presented in this class to foster a climate of robust and relevant learning.  I plan to embed some of November’s “E-VENTURES” in the next week or so in class including “Invent a Domain Name.”
  November postulates, “Technology is just the digital plumbing.  It enables a fundamental change in the culture of learning where students assume much more responsibility for making their own learning where collegial and relationships expand” (November 4).  Perhaps, the promise of change, civility, and community out way the confines of negative thinking and trepidation.


References
Levin, Barbara and Schrum, Lynne. (2009).  Leading 21rst Century Schools:
     Harnessing Technology for Engagement and Achievement. Thousand Oaks,
     California: Corwin, A Sage Company. 
November, Alan. (2010). Empowering Students with Technology. Thousand Oaks,
     California: Corwin, A Sage Company. 
Tapscott, Don. (2009). Grown up Digital.   New York: McGraw Hill.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you brought up November's E-ventures. I think all 3 books we bought and read for this course were great investments. You made me go back and look through them all again. So many great ideas and resources!

    ReplyDelete